Ground External Floating Roof System
External Floating Roof Tanks (EFRTs) are extremely susceptible to direct lightning strikes and nearby strike currents. Studies have shown that approximately 30% of all floating roof tank fires are caused by lightning related issues. Rim Seal fires are the most common type of fire for floating-roof tanks, and it is estimated that 95% of rim seal fires are the result of lightning strikes. These fires can lead to months or years of downtime, tank/facility damage or injury to personnel.
TAC GEFRS provide an exceptionally low resistance and low impedance connection between the Floating Roof and Tank Shell Wall, TAC GEFRS prevents rim fires by dissipating lightning energy before it can arc and cause ignition.
The GEFRS is engineered to meet the American Petroleum Institutes (API) Recommended Practice 545 (126.96.36.199.1), which states: Bypass Conductors are used for conduction of the intermediate and long duration component of a lightning strike.
As it is with all electrical problems and solutions, each case will vary depending on numerous factors.
- Complies with API 545, IEC 62305 and NFPA 780 standards for bypass conductors.
- Easily installed on new or existing facilities.
- Provides permanent low resistance low impedance bond between the shell and roof of External Floating Roof Tanks (EFRTs). “Each conductor, including connections shall have a maximum end-to-end resistance of 0.03 ohms (Ω).” *American Petroleum Institutes (API) Recommended Practice 545 (188.8.131.52.2)
- The GEFRS comes with an industry leading one (1) year workmanship replacement warranty.
- The 50mm2 bypass conductor of the GEFRS is specially designed and manufactured with a low resistance copper core, safeguarded with stainless steel for exceptional corrosion resistance, strength and maximum durability.
- The GEFRS uses a sleek and exceptionally rugged construction made of heavy-duty 4-12 mm thick, stainless steel suitable for long life in any environment.
- The GEFRS also comes with a safety stopping mechanism to maximize tank and personnel protection.
- Minimal maintenance, no parts that can break. In the unlikely event that any part is damaged by any circumstance, it can be replaced individually without the need to purchase any set that makes maintenance more expensive.